Monday, September 9, 2019

Battle company Shire vs Dwarves vs Troll

Next on our list was the dreaded Cave Troll mission which, last time, saw most of my Harad battle company destroyed. 

Again, I got the idea for the slightly harder difficulty from the awesome guys in Ontario: OSGBL Cave Troll

I didn't take many photos, but at one point it looked like this:


And from the other side...


The hobbits lost a single model to a thrown boulder from the cave troll, meanwhile, they stood their distance and killed the troll with arrows and stones! Yes, the piddly little strength 1 stones. My son was in charge of the hobbits and he thought the troll was too scary to attack directly, so he just threw stone after stone!


Meanwhile, my dwarves took forever to break through the goblins, Brynmor was a casualty and although I killed the goblin captain and more than half of the goblins, it took me so long that the troll was dead before I even got to it! 


So not sure how it happened, but the Hobbits took the win! Four archers and ten stone-throwers a turn really adds up with a 3+ to hit. I guess with stones it was 3+ to hit, then a 6 followed by a 4+ to wound which is... I think... 1 in 18 chance to wound? And the archers 3+ then a 6, so 1 in 9 chance to wound. With three points of might among his troops to tip a few 5s into 6s. And given it took me five or six rounds to run up and kill the goblins that probably makes sense. Don't underestimate large numbers of hobbits with lots of stones!

Another good fun game with a very happy little boy bragging about killing a cave troll with a thrown stone!

Fortunately in the post game there were no permanent wounds taken, so all in all it was easy xp and influence =)

3 comments:

  1. Loving the BC Bat-Reps. I've been playing BC with my two sons (almost 9 and 7), and they're having a ball. I lost that troll mission, too (the troll went towards my son's ghosts on a 50/50 roll on turn 2, and rolled just a 5 against 14 dunharrow dice. It took every single one of them to get a "6," but no shortage of ensuing wounds). My brother had something similar with his son: after his wanderer's elf bows and throwing axes whittled the troll down to 1 wound, my nephew's lone moria goblin archer scored the last wound on a 5+, with an in-the-way.

    Needless to say, it's one of the most memorable games he's played. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you finding the new BC book? I made a post about BCs recently on my blog and I have to say I'm really enjoying it! My moria company is starting to get pretty powerful.

    Regards,
    Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’re all loving it! Just haven’t had the time for full scale games, so the smaller BC games are great. The extra fun of levelling up a team is great fun too. Also, I now have some hobbits, rangers and other models I’d never have bought if I wanted a whole army, but happily spent the cash on a small number of models for battle companies - good business model from GW =)

      Delete