Thursday, September 26, 2019

Battle Companies: Karna vs Wanderers in the Wild

We had a public holiday today, so found time to squeeze in another game! This was super evenly matched points-wise. The Karna list at 149 points, the Wanderers in the Wild with 150 points!

We set up a super terrain dense map so that my Wanderers couldn't just shoot everything to death!

With a river down the middle of the map, trees everywhere, some rocks, some ruins, couple of hills...


The Karna list has a Mirkwood Spider AND a spectral warrior in their midst!


The first few turns went really well for me, my shooting took out two of his commanders and another couple of troops! But then we hit some close combat! The spider took out my snipers, one of his commanders took out my leader and the spectral warrior slashed a dwarven ranger!


Then, just to be mean, one of his warriors won the fight against my other ranger and hobbit... and chose to take out the hobbit! Nooooo! My mission every game is to try and keep him alive and I thought he was pretty safe out of the way!


We were down to 3 guys each, the game would be over when either of us went down to two remaining!


In the very last turn, my elf sniped out his bowman, but then his spearman took out my hero! Two guys each - a tie!!!


This was a super fun match, so even the whole time, it kept swinging one way or the other! However, the post-game really sucked! 

My brother's team rolled terribly, one warrior dead, one hero with an arm wound and half his team are to miss the next match - giving them a rating of only 79!!!

I rolled much better and my rating is now up with an extra dwarven ranger joining the company!

If you've not played a game with tons of scenery, you really should try sometime, it's really fun having to break up groups of guys, really work to get archery shots in, jump tests etc. very different from battle lines and marching in formation!

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see you post again! After some years I've stopped visiting since I thought that you abandoned it, but now I have a lot of catching up to do! I can remember when you did not have a kid and now you are playing with him! Good to see you still on the hobby since you were my main inspiration for painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been a while! I don't have the time like I used to, but we do try and play every now and then. I also don't always take photos and stuff as it took quite a long time to take all the notes and photos.

      Delete
  2. On another note, what rules are you using when you are playing with your kid? Are you using all the rules (for certain weapons, monster attacks, heroic moves etc) or are you playing a more simplified version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use most of the rules for moving and stuff. We don't use the individual weapon type rules and so far haven't had to do any monster attacks as it's been all battle companies rather than points battles. So far we've just been using might to adjust die rolls rather than for special actions, but we're working up to that sort of stuff a bit at a time. He's doing a good job of learning how to lose, having said that, he tends to win a lot with his very hardy, axe throwing dwarves! We also made it so his guys can't actually die (given that they're the named dwarven company!) but can still miss games and get injuries etc.

      Delete